Friday, May 3, 2019

Transition


TIME TO STRATEGY EXECUTION: 59 DAYS

It took an hour of invasive medical procedures following an emergency court order for federal authorities to find the transceiver that enabled Frank Lanton to communicate with his followers. The coincidence of activity at the Golden Biosphere Observation Station with the progress of our call was strong enough for probable cause, and the end of all Savior of the Apocalypse operations following discovery of the transceiver was ample evidence that it was justified.

Sally was officially authorized to use some of her bandwidth helping with the follow-up investigations, and retroactively authorized for her role in stopping the siege of the station. Over two hundred participants in Lanton’s global assault have so far been arrested, and are likely to be prosecuted along with their leader for attempted omnicide, just as Mark Linster and his collaborators were tried for crashing the WICO servers. Charges related to international terrorism will also be added, which could result in sentences that include lifelong incarceration or worse.

The newly freed Boulder field office hosted a party last night to celebrate the end of the threat and the fact that no one was harmed. Maura’s family joined Al Menzies as special guests, along with a dozen of her friends from the Extinction Response Unit. Sally attended as well, appearing as a lifelike hologram using a prototype projector that was delivered especially for the party. Ambassador Lazlo called half-way through the party to thank everyone for working through the threat and to give a pep talk about the hard deadline that’s less than two months away.

Afterwards, during a walk around the office grounds, Maura gave me the good news that my job with WICO is secure, and then told me that I don’t have to pack for the move to Q.A. headquarters. “The last two weeks have shown that you can be a lot more useful here,” she explained.

“I like to think I can be useful anywhere, including back there with you and the team.” Mostly with you, I wanted to say.

“I believe that’s true,” she said meekly, “but going back isn’t going to work for us.”

Words escaped me, silence being a perfect metaphor for the emptiness that I felt. She gripped my hand, and the strange sense of wellbeing filled most, but not all, of the emptiness. I took a deep breath and forced out the words I’d been afraid to ask since having what I considered my best idea blown off by Ambassador Lazlo: “When are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow. I’ve got a lot to do, and not much time to do it.”

“I wish you could stay,” I blurted, expecting this would be my last chance to say it.

She silently squeezed my hand, enhancing the wellbeing effect, and then slowly started to giggle.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

The giggling grew into a full-throated laugh, and she turned to face me. Those eyes began to transport me somewhere else, and I barely noticed her biting her lip in order to speak. “That… will… make it… really… hard to… pack up my apartment.”

That jolted me back to reality. “What?”

She grinned. “I’ll be more useful here too.”

Reality Check


Just being true to my characters. I’ve been extremely lucky to experience that kind of deep connection with another person, and we’ve now been married for almost fifteen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment