Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Offers and Consequences


No one, least of all me, expected the degree of blowback on WICO after my resignation. I suspect a large part of it was due to Al resigning shortly after I did, and Maura requesting a transfer back to full-time work with the Extinction Response Unit. My colleagues in the international press asked for interviews with all three of us as soon as the news became public, and we politely declined. Neither of us wants to hinder the deployment of the strategy or take a chance of hurting WICO’s reputation (though Victor Lansing did get criticized on social media after my last blog post).

Louis Delambre from Vitalla called me yesterday with an interesting offer. The Possibilities from Responsibilities (PFR) movement is growing fast, having already drawn members from more than a dozen test communities, and they need a press agent who understands what they are trying to do. I agreed to think about it, subject to the conditions that I can work near home and continue with my independent writing. Both Al and Maura encouraged me to accept the offer, revealing that they were recently asked by PFR to consider other support roles. I plan to decide by Friday. 

In the meantime, there is a lot of news to catch up on. The biggest story is the outcome of an international court case brought by the fossil fuel industry to force WICO’s member nations to pay as damages the revenue expected to be lost when the global strategy is fully executed. “Since the entire economy is expected to contract as a result of the emergency response,” read the verdict, “no organizations can claim an excessive burden. In addition, plaintiffs should consider themselves lucky that damages are not being sought by the world’s nations for creating much of the threat being responded to, since the analyses provided in evidence amply show that such damages would easily overwhelm the revenue expected to be lost.”

Reality Check


While “Will” was busy adjusting to more time on his hands, I continued development of the simulations driving his future and the those of other “worlds”(including ours) that are the basis of my ongoing writing projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment